It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who apply for a job and never return your phone call, apply for a job and never show up for the interview, or better than that... apply for the job and never show up for work. Seriously? Don't talk to me about a lack of work. Lets start talking about a lack of work ETHIC.
Thank you. There. I. Said. It.
I am totally not underestimating the lack of jobs in this economy. I understand that there is a problem but I see a huge issue with the work ethic of our society as well. There are a lot of people who just flat out don't want to work.
My most favorite quote, and the one I hear most often:
"I can't work over 20 hrs a week because I won't qualify for government benefits."
Really? Is this what we have come to? People who would rather stick their hand out than work to feed their family? I just don't get it.
So here are a few tips if you WOULD like to get the job:
- Show up for the interview. - Yep, this is pretty much a must. And you wouldn't believe how many people don't. In my case, its up around 50%.
- Don't show up 30 minutes early. - Whoever thought that was a good idea obviously never interviewed. 10 minutes maybe... but if you responded to an ad, you are probably not the only one who responded and chances are, I am going to be interviewing every 30 minutes, all day. You are going to just be sitting there.
- Tuck in your shirt. - If you can't go out and buy a nice shirt and tie, new shoes and pants, I totally understand that. But at least make what you have look decent. First impressions are huge.
- Spell check your resume. - This may seem petty. But I look at it as detailed. If you won't take the time to spell check one of the most important documents in your job hunt, you probably aren't going to be detailed in your job duties.
- Be honest about your background. - I'm going to pull a background check and there is nothing you can hide at that point. When I ask you if you want to explain anything I may find on there and you tell me its clean when you spent 5 years behind bars, you are probably not going to get hired just because you lied.
- And last but not least... if you do get the job, please show up for work.