Dining Room Makeover ~ Picture Frame Wainscoting

I can't begin to tell you how much I LOVE my new dining room! The project on the other hand... not so fun. :-)

What should have a 1, maybe 2 weekends project took me 5. Yes, 5! Of course, you have to love my perfect timing of starting a project like this in the middle of school year with a brand new baby. But what can I say? I get my mind on something and just HAVE to do it!
So here is my before picture:
 photo IMG_3276_zps4184c08c.jpg
Kinda blah. The color we originally picked out for this room and our family room turned out a little green for my taste. It was Sherwin Williams Ethreal Mood which is really pretty but just pulls a little more green than I would like. I stuck it out for two years but now its gotta go!

The first challenge was finding the right grey. Wow. At one point my dining room looked like this:
 photo IMG_3282_zps68542076.jpg
We went through 5 greys before I finally realized my bedroom was painted the perfect color. So Valspar's Stratus it was. Not too blue that it looked like a baby's room but not too grey that it was dark and dreary. Then we added the chair rail:
 photo IMG_3293_zps64eb8d8b.jpg
The crown molding in this room has two layers so I tried to match the bottom layer as close as possible. Mine measures 1.5 inches wide and I used the same trim for the chair railing and the frames.

This was the easy part. First, I painted my trim with two coats. That way, I didn't have to tape off when I got ready to paint the bottom part of the wall. Then, using a table saw, I measured twice and cut once at 45 degree angles to make the corners match up. I used straight cuts at the ends of the wall and at the window. Then I attached the trim with a nail gun and finishing nails.
 photo IMG_3292_zpsace31674.jpg
Then I started cutting my squares. I honestly can't tell you if there is an appropriate size for the squares. I basically allowed for 5" from the bottom of the chair rail to the top of the square and 5" from the top of the baseboard to the bottom of the square. I didn't want my squares to be totally, well, square so I came up with squares measureing 20" wide x 18" long. Then I allowed for 5" between each square.

The cutting was a VERY tedious process. If you have experience with a table saw this will probably come easier for you. I had never used one and my finger actually caught the bad side of a spinning blade at one point. Thankfully, it was just a graze and not a full blow! I cut each piece to size with straight cut first. This could be eliminated if you feel more comfortable measuring at angles. So, each piece of trim received 4 cuts... and I cut 60 pieces of wood. Yeah... So you could eliminate two of those cuts by getting comfortable enough to measure at an angle.
I started in the middle of the wall and worked my way out. That way all my frames were even. When I got to the end of the wall and did not have enough space to do a full square, I simply kept with the 5" frame around the square and adjusted accordingly.
 photo IMG_3296_zpsf2491064.jpg
Then I painted the whole bottom part of the wall the color of my trim. Mine is an off white but it has been color matched to what was originally here so I am not sure of the exact color.
 photo IMG_3297_zps8c83530b.jpg
Then I started putting up my frames. I used a level to place all the top pieces first. Then I used a 90 degree angle to make sure my side pieces were straight. The bottom piece then fit perfectly in its place. Don't worry if the edges have small gaps. Caulking will cover a multitude of sins!
And why I quit taking pictures here I am not sure. But I did. So sorry!
After that comes the job of caulking. Make sure you buy PAINTABLE caulk. I used DAP Acrylic Latex with Silicone. Each nail hole will need to be filled. Then you will need to caulk around the top of the chair rail and each side (inside and out) of the frame pieces. This is critical in making the frames look like actual wainscoting.
Last but not least, paint the entire wall and frames with a second coat to give everything a good cover.
And there you have it!  photo 5f1c39db-fb8b-4c84-8122-7536b416b258_zps6b53b6a8-1_zps5d0b535b.jpg
 photo IMG_3408_zps9a5e50c1.jpg

 photo IMG_3407_zpsbc8ff208.jpg

 photo IMG_3410_zpsb209b8b5.jpg
Love, love, love the finished product. It looks like a totally different room! The entire project cost about $150. That included the 5 gallons, quarts or samples sizes of paint as well though. Haha.

If there is anything I didn't cover feel free to email me. Hopefully I can answer your questions!

7 comments:

  1. Feel free to come do my house! I love how it turned out! gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dining room looks fabulous! I love the picture fram wainscoting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy amazingness!! Come do mine please. :)

    ReplyDelete